EATING IN THE FIFTIES
1. Pasta had not been invented. It was macaroni or spaghetti.
2. Curry was a surname.
3. A take-away was a mathematical problem.
4. Pizza? Sounds like a leaning tower somewhere.
5. Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.
6. All chips were plain.
7. Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever part of our dinner.
8. A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining.
9. Brown bread was something only poor people ate.
10. Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking.
11. Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.
12. Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.
13. Chickens didn't have fingers in those days.
14. None of us had ever heard of yogurt.
15. Healthy food consisted of anything edible.
16. Cooking outside was called camping.
17. Seaweed was not a recognized food.
18. 'Kebab' was not even a word, never mind a food.
19. Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold.
20. Prunes were medicinal.
21. Surprisingly muesli was readily available. It was called cattle feed.
22. Pineapples came in chunks in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.
23. Water came out of the tap. If someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than gasoline for it they would have become a laughing stock.
24. The one thing that we never ever had on our table in the fifties...was elbows!